Wat Ratchanaddaram (Ratchanaddaram Temple)
Phan Phiphop Lila Bridge commands a fine view of Loha Prasart (Iron Castle), which towers over Maha Chetsadabodin Royal Pavilion, an important structure of Wat Ratchanaddaram.
The temple was built in 1846, during the latter part of King Rama III’s reign, to celebrate the birth of his granddaughter Princess Sommanaswattanawadee, later to become the consort of King Rama IV.
Chao Phraya Yommaraj was the architect who designed the main structures of Wat Ratchanaddaram, such as the vihara (shrine hall) and ubosot (ordination room), Chao Phraya Sripipat supervised the construction of the well-known Loha Prasart.
The Iron Castle was the only structure that was not a pagoda that King Rama III commissioned to be built within a temple. As tall as a 7-storey building, it is composed of five towers, of which the outer, middle and the centre towers are crowned with 37 large, black iron spires that represent the 37 virtues that are required to reach enlightenment.
During a recent renovation, the 37 spires were turned a sparkling gold. Relics of Lord Buddha are enshrined on the top floor.
Location: Maha Chai Road, Phra Nakhon District, Bangkok (you can walk from Ratchadamnoen Klang Rd., through Maha Chetsadabodin Royal Pavilion)
-The Loha Prasart at Wat Ratchanaddaram is the world’s only surviving iron castle.
- Inside the ubosot is a beautiful copper Buddha image in Maravichai posture, Phra Buddhasedthuttamamunin, meaning the Buddha that is greater than any other monk.